Occupation In-Demand

Three main provinces held their PNP draws recently


On March 24th , Saskatchewan held a new draw, encouraging immigrants to apply for a provincial nomination. 

Candidates who could be eligible for a nomination through the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP), specifically the International Skilled Worker category, were sent invitations. 183 applicants qualified for the SINP’s Express Entry sub category, and 235 for the Occupations In-Demand subcategory.

In order to be invited, candidates had to have an Expression of Interest (EOI) score of at least 70, irrespective of the stream. 

Occupations in demand subcategory

The Occupations In-Demand sub-category is a core stream of the Saskatchewan Provincial Nominee Program (SINP), which means it is available to immigrants without an Express Entry profile.

The subcategory is specifically for highly qualified workers with relevant experience in an in-demand occupation, who have not yet been offered a work position in the province.

Express Entry Sub-category

The Express Entry sub-category is an improved PNP, which means it is linked to the federal Express Entry system. Express Entry is the applicant pool for three of Canada’s widely popular economic immigration programmes: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and Canadian Experience Class. The PNP stream is also catered to by this system. 

The Express Entry Candidates who manage to receive a provincial nomination get an additional 600 points with their Comprehensive Ranking system score (CRS), essentially guaranteeing their invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada with an extremely high score.


On March 26, Alberta was able to invite candidates to.apply for a provincial nomination. The province invited a total number of 300 candidates to apply for the Alberta Express Entry stream via the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP). Candidates just required a Detailed Ranking System (CRS) score of at least 301 for the second year in a row. Those who earn an Alberta provincial nomination will have 600 CRS points automatically applied to their overall Express Entry score.

Alberta Express Entry Stream

This Enhanced PNP is specifically for those candidates who have close ties to the province and can help the government achieve its economic growth and diversification goals. In 2020, Alberta was able to grant 6,250 nomination certificates. Owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the province’s quota was limited to 4,000 nominations. By June 2020, all of these nominations had been made.


On March25, Manitoba welcomed another 335 applicants to apply for a provincial nomination. These invited applicants would be a step closer to getting an ITA for permanent residence  if they obtain a provincial nomination through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP).

Manitoba frequently invites potential immigrants to apply through one of three PNP streams: Skilled Workers in Manitoba, International Education Stream, or Skilled Workers Overseas. Candidates for the skilled Worker streams must have previously submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) profile.

In the latest draw for the Skilled workers category 285 invitations were issued with at least an EOI score of 423.

An individual must file an Expression of Interest with the MPNP in order to be considered for a nomination from Manitoba. This helps an individual to apply for a LAA via the Manitoba Skilled Workers and Skilled Workers Overseas streams.

Occupation In-Demand

Canada has permanent residence programs for live-in caregivers 

Canada has a large elderly population, with more than 9.1 million Canadians being over the age of 65. Many of those Canadians face troubles such as mobility issues, memory problems, or other factors that make living alone very difficult. For many elderly Canadians, live-in caregivers are needed to provide them with the necessary assistance. What’s more, there are plenty of families that need the aid of these skilled caregivers to help them care for their children. There is a high demand for live-in caregivers across the country. 

For live-in caregivers currently working in Canada, or for those with these skills who may be wanting to come to Canada, there are new ways of getting permanent residence. The Canadian government has launched two live-in caregiver pilot programs: the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot. Both of these new programs are aimed at recruiting skilled foreign workers and helping them gain permanent residence in Canada. 

Qualifications for New Pilot Programs 

These programs have similar criteria for potential applicants. Both require applicants to have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) scores of 5 or more, either in English or French. They must also have one year of education from a Canadian post-secondary school or from a foreign school equivalent. Finally, both programs require applicants to be admissible to Canada. The occupations have the National Occupational Classification (NOC) numbers of 4411 for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and 4412 for the Home Support Worker Pilot. However, the programs exclude those with experience only as foster parents or housekeepers. 

After gaining two years of experience as either a childcare provider or home support worker, skilled workers can apply for permanent residence through their respective pilot program. Each of these programs accepts 2,750 applicants yearly, in addition to the applicants’ families. That makes for a total of 5,500 positions open for live-in caregivers to gain Canadian permanent residence.

Occupation In-Demand

How Canadian social workers help immigrants 

For many immigrants, it can be difficult to immediately adjust to the new surroundings of Canadian cities. It can be hard for families to know where to find the right social services, like doctors offices, counsellors, and schools. Thankfully, Canadian social workers are available to help newcomers with these and any other issues that may come up during the immigration process. Whether you find yourself settling in the Maritimes, moving to a central city, or making your new home on the west coast, there are social workers available all across Canada. These people have all the skills and connections needed to help newcomers find everything they need to settle in Canada.  

Getting Settled and Getting Connected

One of the most daunting tasks for a newcomer is finding adequate housing. It can be difficult to find an affordable home, especially when you are not familiar with the area. Immigration social workers can help their clients figure out how to approach the hunt for housing in their new city. They can help them find a trusted realtor who will track down the right home for them and guide them through the rehoming process. 

What’s more, social workers can help immigrants and their families to find communities that share their cultural background. It is extremely important for immigrant families to be able to connect to people with shared backgrounds and experiences, especially during big changes like moving to an unfamiliar country.  

Additionally, social workers can help newcomers navigate and find connections in the wider community. They can introduce them to members of the community who will help them in the process of adjusting to life in Canada. Whether that be volunteer organizations, tutors, or just helpful neighbours, social workers help to track down the people that are happy to assist newcomers. 

Finding Services

When moving to a new area, it is undoubtedly very difficult to find essential services like clinics and schools. And when it’s an entirely new country, it can be rather daunting to find out how these services operate in that region. Thankfully, social workers are there to help newcomers find the services they need. For instance, social workers can help their clients track down doctors and other medical professionals who can help them and their families with any health issues. Additionally, they can help find childcare facilities for the children of those families. And tracking down quality schools is very important to both newcomer families and their social workers.

Social workers can help their clients navigate their new community in many ways. They can help with transportation by showing them the city’s public transit options or by helping them obtain a Canadian driver’s license. They can also help guide them towards upgrading their qualifications or obtaining Canadian certifications at various schools, colleges, and universities. Additionally, they can help newcomers track down English or French language classes and tutors to help them improve their language skills. Alternatively, they can provide their clients with skilled interpreters and translators. 

Counselling and Consultation

Social workers understand the strain that immigration puts on people, and they do their best to help newcomers and their families as they adjust to their new homes. Many social workers offer personal consultation, whether on mental health, cultural disorientation, or uncertainty and anxiety about their current affairs. They also help clients find services to counsel and support those with PTSD and other war-related or refugee traumas. Whether it’s offering career and immigration consultation or giving counsel during difficult times, social workers provide newcomers with the help that they need to thrive in Canada. 

Social Workers at Settlement Organizations 

Social workers are crucial to the immigration process and to newcomers’ experiences. They are certainly the unsung heroes of the Canadian immigration process. Social workers pride themselves on being compassionate and dedicated to their clients’ happiness and wellbeing. Newcomers can reach out to social workers through various settlement organizations across Canada. As a result, these organizations connect immigrants to social workers and many of the services listed above. Following is a list of just a fraction of the settlement organizations in various provinces. 

Newfoundland: Association for New Canadians

Prince Edward Island: PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada

Nova Scotia: African Diaspora Association of the Maritimes; Antigonish Women’s Resource CentreImmigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia 

New Brunswick: Multicultural Association of Fredericton; Northwest Resource Center for Newcomers Inc.; Saint John Newcomers Centre

Quebec: Centre d’action bénévole de Québec; Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion; Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration (OFII)

Ontario: Christie Refugee Welcome Centre; Cross-Cultural Community Services Association; Muslim Resource Centre for Social Support and Integration 

Manitoba: Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba; Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations

Saskatchewan: India Canada Association of Saskatchewan; Regina Open Door Society (RODS); Saskatchewan Association of Immigrant Settlement and Integration Agencies (SAISIA)

Alberta: Alberta Association of Immigrant Serving Agencies; Calgary Immigrant Educational Society; Jewish Family Service Calgary (JFSC)

British Columbia: Affiliation of Multicultural Societies and Service Agencies of BC( AMSSA ); BC Settlement & Integration Services (BCSIS); Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISSofBC)

Occupation In-Demand

New opportunities in Canada for social workers

Across the country, Canada currently has a demand to fill many skilled occupations. One such occupation that many provinces are calling for is social work. Social workers are vital members of Canadian communities. Their skills cover an array of services which are very beneficial to people. They provide needed assistance, whether it be finding childcare, aiding in employment issues, or giving counsel to their clients’ concerns. Canadian employers post social workers in various locations, including hospitals, career advisement offices, correctional facilities, schools, and many more. 

Most provinces have their own credentials required for hiring skilled foreign workers for the social worker occupation. For example, most provinces require a history of practical experience. Additionally, they may have to be a member of a provincial social workers association. Finally, the should have passed an oral or written exam in the respective province.  

Requirements In Each Province

The following is a list of specific requirements that each province looks for.        

Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia: These provinces require applicants to have a bachelor’s degree in social work and to register as a licensed social worker with the provincial government.

Alberta also requires applicants to register as a licensed social worker with the provincial government. However, it also accepts either a bachelor’s degree in social work or a diploma in that field of study.

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and the territories of Nunavut and the Northwest Territories: These provinces and territories only require skilled foreign workers to have a bachelor’s degree in social work.

Canada’s demand for social workers is already fairly high and is only expected to increase in the next few years. Subsequently, as the country’s current population of social workers begins to age new workers are needed to fill the gaps. Skilled foreign workers have proved to be an asset for many Canadian industries, and the skills of social workers would be more than welcome.